Saturday, February 25, 2006

DJ

I've thoroughly enjoyed my two weeks standing in for Tom Robinson on 6Music. I think the main thing when doing a job like that is to not annoy the regular listeners. They obviously listen for a reason so to change the show in any big way would spoil it for them. All you can really do is present the show the way it is... but in your own way. Which in my case means in a shambolic way.

We had some really great bands in the studio and I started to enjoy chatting to the guests which hasn't always been the case in the past. Well, I've always enjoyed having bands in, I've just never considered myself much cop when it comes to interviewing people... but I think that side of the job saw a marked improvement this time round.

As always while I try to play some music that won't have had much play on the radio before I also end up discovering music that's new to me and leaving with a big shopping list. I now have to get hold of some Jim Noir amongst other things.

I seemed to be all over the place yesterday. The episode of Banter I recorded recently was on Radio 4 at 6.30, then I was hosting the 6Music show from 7 til 9.30 and when I got home there was a repeat of the Culture Show on BBC2 with my contribution to the Design Quest thing in it. It's always a bit weird when that happens. Things that were recorded in advance just colliding randomly... I always get a bit paranoid and imagine someone somewhere accidentally catching them all and feeling like I'm electronically stalking them.

I've been invited to appear on a new BBC3 show hosted by Radio 1's Colin and Edith which is taped on Sunday. I don't know too much about it but I think Jim Noir are playing and that's reason enough to turn up as far as I'm concerned.

The variety I've been enjoying of late continues... I'm a guest on two episodes of Radio 4's Quote Unquote which record next Tuesday and on March 4th I'm returning to take part in another episode of Celebrity Poker Club, the show that started me off on the road to ruin this time last year.

No comments: